Monday, February 18, 2008

The Church

Well I did it. Yesterday (Sunday) I went to church. I even managed to drag the boyfriend along too. He wasn't too happy about it at first, but he said he actually enjoyed it and that he may possibly come with me next Sunday. Most importantly I was pleased with everything I heard and saw. I went to a Unitarian Church because I like their principles and beliefs. It is a very liberal viewed church where they welcome and appreciate their gay members. Now the last place I wanted to go was one where they tell you that they are the ultimate and only correct religion. So although it may not be a conventional church like some of the others, I agree with what they preach. This is a list of their 7 main principles of what they affirm and promote:

1. The inherent worth and dignity of every person
2. Justice, equity and compassion in human relations
3. Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations
4. A free and responsible search for truth and meaning
5. The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large
6. The goal of world community with peace, liberty and justice for all
7. Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part

Before the sermon started one of the church leaders had asked if anyone in the room had never been to the church before. Surprisingly the bf and I were not the only ones. A few hands were raised including ours and we received a verbal welcome as well as many affirming smiles thrown our way from around the church. A few minutes later, they asked everyone to say greet each other with a simple hello and good morning. Many people came up to us to greet us and give their own personal welcoming. Each hello and good morning seemed as though the words spoken were sincere and that these people genuinely wanted to greet us.

The sermon given was one that I was shocked to have heard my first time there. Everything that the minister said, for some reason had to do with many of my struggles. He hit home with many of his main points. It felt as if he was talking directly to me. I got many things out of it, and the one thing I really want to focus on is to try to not worry about the future or on the past, but to focus on the present. I need to be in the moment, instead of letting my woes of the future consume and overwhelm me.

I actually look forward to going this next Sunday. I can only assume that is a good thing. Hopefully the bf will come along as it is always nice to have a companion at your side. But for anyone that is in sort of the same situation as I am spiritually I do recommend checking it out.

No comments: