Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Bible Thumper To Attempt to Make Same Sex Marriage Illegal in Pennsylvania

It was announced yesterday that a Senator that lives roughly an hour away from me in Pennsylvania is going to introduce an amendment to the constitution that will make same sex marriage illegal. R.i.d.i.c.u.l.o.u.s!!! I have been seeing all the changes here in the North East with every state above us legalizing gay marriage or in efforts to, and there was a piece of me that hoped one of our own Law makers would stand up and try to do the same. Instead, someone stepped up and is now trying to do the opposite. I have to tell you, it is extremely disheartening.

Now I am almost positive this bill will not pass. If it got past all the legislative BS, it would then be put into voters hands to put this law into effect. And I truly dont think that people who live in PA would go for something like this. At least I hope not.

I think I am more upset at the fact that no one stepped up and attempted to follow suit with New York or New Hampshire. No one was willing to go out on a limb for me, my friends, and the rest of the PA GLBT community.

I do know for a fact however, that if this bill would pass, and gay marriage would become illegal, I would be looking to relocate to a state in which I could in fact get married. I would refuse to live in a state that would not give me the rights I deserve.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HARRISBURG -- With more states moving to legalize gay and lesbian marriages, state Sen. John Eichelberger wants Pennsylvania to move further in the opposite direction.

Since 1996 Pennsylvania has had the Defense of Marriage Act, which defines marriage as only between one man and one woman, but the Blair County Republican wants to amend the state constitution to include a ban on same-sex marriage. He will hold a press conference tomorrow in Hollidaysburg to introduce a bill, which would have to be approved in two different legislative sessions and then in a public referendum.

Putting the same-sex marriage ban into the construction will prevent the state Supreme Court from knocking out the 1996 state law, should a lawsuit be filed against it, he said.

He said there seems to be "an activist movement" in some states for gay marriage. He noted that three states -- Massachusetts, Connecticut and Iowa -- now permit same-sex marriage, and will be joined by two more, Vermont and Maine, in September. Also, New Hampshire is close to approve same-sex marriage.

Mr. Eichelberger said 30 states already have a constitutional provision that defines marriages as just between one man and one woman, which prevents polygamist marriages as well as same-sex marriages.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
via. Pittsburgh Post Gazette

You can get in contact with Mr. Eichelberger here...http://senatoreichelberger.com/

1 comment:

jay said...

As a state I called home for 2 years, I really hope this does not happen. PA can be a very weird state. PHL and PIT are very liberal but I'm not sure about the rest of the state as I have no experience with them.

Regardless, I am looking forward to Pgh Pride in a month. Last year was fun so hopefully this year will be just as good.