Thursday, July 19, 2007

New Job Woes

So as previously mentioned I just moved to Pittsburgh a little over a month ago. I moved here to start a job for a large corporation. I found out I received this job while I was still in school and after learning about the position from their website as well as through interviews I thought that this was the perfect job for me. Well, lets just say that since starting this new job, that I have come to realize that I am doing nothing that I was told I was going to be doing. Because of this I feel like I have been misled about the position that I signed on for.

I graduated college still not knowing what I wanted to do with my life. I was lost when it came to picking a certain area in the business world where I would start my career. Well when this company contacted me for an interview, *only a day after I submitted my amazing resume' mind you, I became very excited, because it was in Pittsburgh and that is where I wanted to move, and because it was for a large company. After doing a little research on the position they wanted to interview me for, it was love at first sight. It appeared that I would get to experience many positions and areas in the company. I would be thrown into some marketing roles, then some finance, then some management, etc. Then after 1 year of this, I would then get to pick what I wanted to do within the company. This was great, I was unsure what I wanted to do, and this will give me an opportunity to experience it all. Too good to be true. Let me tell ya.

I now sit here, in a horrible cubicle that I share with an overachieving brown-noser, doing what you ask. Well other than reading other peoples blogs, checking the latest celebrity gossip on http://www.perezhilton.com/, and reviewing all the news websites, I have been doing, well, nothing. I was assigned a project, a competitive analysis, on one of our competitors. I was assigned this two weeks ago and I have spent about 2 hours working on it. Yeah, its sad I know. My brownnoser cube mate has probably spent all 8 working hours working on it since the day we received the project. His is amazing, and mine is less the sub-par. I cant find any ambition to work on this at all. Not fun and definitely not good.

On top of hating what I am doing, the HR department here sucks. They have messed up every possible piece of paper that has had my name on it. Signed forms have gotten misplaced, receipts have been sent to the wrong people, and the list goes on and on. Once again, not happy!

So I have been struggling with this situation alot, and I am stuck here for at least a year *length of my contract. I am trying to make the most of this experience, but its hard when I feel that I have been misled and lots of interdepartmental miscommunication has been happening. But I believe everything happens for a reason. So I am sure that I will learn something from this experience but until then I will just suffer through it.

1 comment:

jay said...

Hey, yes I do agree that everything happens for a reason. Besides work, how is Pittsburgh so far?

With regards to work, give it time. Not everything appears perfect in the beginning but things may turn out how you want them to in the long run.

And i don't recommend reading blogs/perez at work since they most likely track internet usage and you could get in some trouble or worse.