Monday, January 26, 2009

Out With the Old

I just got done writing an email to my roommate letting her know I will be moving out in 2 months. This has been a long awaited email in which I cant wait for these two months to be over. I have lived with my roommate whom i found on Craigslist for about a year and a half now. Overall, I am not sure if I would have done things differently knowing now what i know. My apt was absolutely amazing. Large, open, cheap, etc. But I think there were way too many negatives about the place. The utilities were expensive, neighbors were loud, too many cats, etc. Sad thing is about the place is that most of the horrible things couldve been avoided if my roommate was willing to change her ways.

The house was always in disarray. If she or I would clean it, within 3 days she would have trashed it again. I am not sure how 1 person could make this big of a mess, but somehow she would do it. Wendy's and McDonald's bags would be left all over dining room tables and floors along with dirty bowls and cups. The sink would be overflowing with dirty dishes still with huge chunks of food on them because they were never rinsed off. Soon, fruit flies had infested out kitchen. It was gross.

Not only was the upkeep of the house lacking, but so was the upkeep on the bills. After talking to my landlord, he explained to me that she is always behind on her rent payments. And he would have to ask her constantly for the rent money. But not only was she not paying rent, but she wasnt paying the utility bills that were in MY name. She is currently 2 months behind now on the gas and electric bill. She comes up with excuse after excuse which I no longer care about. At some point she needs to grow up and do what she needs to do to pay her bills.

So I am not sure if or when I will be moving in with the bf after this, but I do know that I am ready to get out. Whether I just get a place by myself, with a friend, or the bf, I know that it will be a better situation than the one I am in now. I just need to find the right place for me to live now!

3 comments:

JUSTIN said...

How you put up with that bullshit for a year and a half is beyond me. I wouldn't have lasted a month!

Craig said...

My old roommate used to take a dish out of the cabinet, then leave the cabinet door open. Like...what? How lazy are you? I'd come home from work and all the cabinet doors would be open. Ugh.

Anonymous said...

I know people find roommates on Craigslist all the time, but I could never live with a stranger for reasons just like this.

I've lived with girls and guys and I can assure you that straight guys make the best roommates of all.

Girls are generally pigs and guys are really good at taking orders.

I had four straight guys living with me in a townhouse and we (I) agreed that we would never leave a dish in the sink or any personal crap in common areas....and honest to God, they kept their word.

Good luck getting out of your place without some kind of MAJOR hassle regarding bills and money she owes.

Why didn't you ask your landlord to toss her and let you stay?