Wednesday, September 23, 2009

G-20 Summit

The G-20 Summit has almost arrived here in Pittsburgh. The event that has had the residents of Pittsburgh attention for the past several months is one day away. The protesters have already arrived and have been setting up camps around the city waiting for their important moment when they can express their opinions and have their voices heard.

The G-20 should really be a great thing. To have leaders from around the world come together to discuss issues that effect our world SHOULD be something that people praise. And many do. However, it is when the unruly and in many cases uneducated protesters come here and create chaos and havoc amongst the host city and that is their main purpose. You do not get your voice heard when throwing bricks through a skyscrapers windows or rioting against the police. This is not the way to create change. When this happens, it merely demeans everything you are attempting to do in the first place. You take the attention off the cause and direct it to the violence.

Personally, up until this week, I havent done much research on previous G-20s. I assumed everyone was going a little overboard with the 5000 or so cops that will be descending into our city to protect it from unruly protesters. However after viewing pictures here from the previous G-20, I am now quite worried.

These pictures are a worst case scenario. They are also scary. One can hope things dont get out of control and everyone can say what they need to say peacefully and go home. Chances are though, that this probably will not happen. Pittsburgh is already seeing its unruly protesters. I can only imagine them getting worse.

Most of Pittsburgh will be completely shut down for the next 3 days. Most workers who work downtown have these days off of work or will be working from home. I will be one of those people who will be parked out on my couch with my laptop doing work watching Ellen on TV. However, because I live only a few blocks from downtown Pittsburgh, I will be walking down there on my lunch break to take pictures of the action. If I get any good shots I will be sure to post them here.

If anyone is interested in keeping updated with the happenings sorrounding the G-20 in Pittsburgh this will be a good place to stay up to date.

No comments: