Monday, February 16, 2009

Apartment Hunting

I have been on the lookout for a new apartment now for quite some time, and I have to say that this experience has not been fun. It seems as though my boyfriend and I have different opinions on what is livable and what isnt. Because I spend a lot of time in the kitchen cooking meals for my man, I require a nice large kitchen. I would prefer nice countertops, newer appliances, and large amounts of cabinet space. I tend to be picky when it comes to my living quarters because i will in fact live there, sleep there, fuck there, and bathe there. So I want it to be clean and cute.

The bf and I have decided what we can both afford so that we can save money and in a year or two buy a house. But I feel we have allocated enough money for a monthly payment that will allow us to live in something nice. Not something spectacular, but something nice possibly something even with granite countertops in the kitchen. But we seem to be running into duds. Pittsburgh is a very old city, so most of the housing around the city is very old and not exactly updated. So that is what we are running into. It also doesnt help that the location I want to live in is not exactly the safest area, but it is close to every major highway and downtown.

All of these factors have led this apt hunt to be very stressful. If I tend to like something, the bf doesnt, and vice versa. I just dont want to settle on a dingy apartment when I know the right one is out there. We are looking at more apartments today and I have put in a few inquiries with people who are tyring to rent out there apartments, so hopefully I will find something soon.

1 comment:

jay said...

Given the size of the city, do you REALLY have to live close to Downtown?

I used to take the bus from Shadyside to Downtown in maybe 20 mins?

I'm glad you guys are thinking long term about buying a house, etc. Pittsburgh has been one of the few stable housing markets recently.

I think it was actually one of the few who experience an increase in housing prices whilst other cities plunged.